Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Namesake

Dir: Mira Nair (Vanity Fair, Monsoon Wedding, Mississippi Masala)
Cast: Irfan Khan, Kal Penn, Tabu, Sahira Nair, Jacinda Barrett, Zuleikha Robinson
India/USA, 2007

Seen: May 27, 2007 at the Carlton

Reason to see: Preview was emotionally moving, I loved Monsoon Wedding, also taking part of #7 on my 101 list: See 1 film a week in the theatre for a year. This is week 22/52.

I'm thrilled to see that this film has had quite a successful run so far, and I think it deserves it. Although it was different that what the previews presented being focused on character Kal Penn plays, but rather it's about the whole family and in essence it is about family. Family and culture, neither of which you pick and both of which you can stray from or embrace and a lot of us try out both throughout difference stages in out lives. I found it engaging yet quietly paced. Felt *this* close to being Canadian, and I say that as a true compliment.

There were some moments at which I wanted to know more, especially about things revolving around culture. But I don't think of that as a bad thing as it never left me confused, only curious. So curious in fact I'm going to read the book on which it was based. It does stand on it's own though, quite enjoyable so.

Shannon's Overall View:
I enjoyed it
I would watch it again
I recommend it

More Film Reviews here

Return to Film Fan Fridays

Bizarre film experience moment: I was first person in the theatre, sat down and munched away on my popcorn. Few minutes later some ladies come in and sit in the row behind me and over 1 seat and chat chat chat (just during the preshow). Out of all of the seats, why choose to sit so close to the only other person there so far?

No comments: