Friday, June 22, 2007

Gracie

Dir: Davis Guggenheim (An Inconvenient Truth)
Cast: Carly Schroeder, Elizabeth Shue, Dermot Mulroney, Jess Lee Soffer
USA, 2007

Seen: Advance screening June 16, 2007

Reason to see: Gotta love inspirational sport films

Coming from not only an athletic background myself, but also being feminist it was a little hard for me to sink into the idea of girls not being 'allowed' to play certain sports. Gracie explores this in its 1978 setting with reference to soccer. However, it also goes beyond soccer and is an all around coming of age film which shows the good and the bad. It also speaks to giving people a chance, knowing what you want, being persistent and driving for excellence. How could that be bad?

I think it achieves in sending a positive message. Although sometimes the writing isn't perfect and the performances can be a bit uneven I think it still drives its message though and lifts the spirit. I also quite enjoyed all the credits.

Shannon's Overall View:
I enjoyed it, even got a little teary-eyed
I'd watch it again
I recommend it, especially to any athletic hopefuls and their families & friends


No commercials or previews

More Film Reviews here

Return to Film Fan Fridays

1 comment:

Suzie Ridler said...

Wow, OK, I might like this one. It's hard to believe that not long ago girls weren't allowed to play sports, grrrr....but I heard that this movie had heart and am glad you agree.