Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Reaping

Dir: Stephen Hopkins (Lost in Space, Predator 2)
Cast: Hilary Swank, Idris Elba, David Morrissey, AnnaSophia Robb
USA, 2007

Seen: April 6, 2007 with Jamie at the theatre formerly known as Paramount at Queen & John

Reason to see: Looking for some 'shlock' on a holiday afternoon. This also falls into my See 1 film a week in the theatre for a year. This is the second film for week 15/52.

This was way more interesting and a lot better than I had expected. I was really surprized to see that one day after opening it was already in one of the little-r theatres. It was still big enough to get completely absorbed into it though, so that was a plus. As this is another strongly seeped in a plot film I'm not doing to talk about that, but if you are interested in thrillers this is a good bet. The only thing I wasn't impressed by was some of the effects were so CGI. I know it may date me but it just doesn't do anything for me, I don't even usually find it scary I just think to myself "That isn't real, it's CGI" and I wait for the scene to end. The complete reverse to that I was delighted to see the friendship between Hilary Swank and Idris Elba's characters. It is so great and refreshing to see a genuine woman-man friendship.

Great quote:
"I've heard you're not much of a bible reader"
"I've read it"

Shannon's Overall View:
I was surpringly entertained
I'd watch it again
I recommend it to thriller fans

More Film Reviews here

Return to Film Fan Fridays

Preshow had 5 commercials and 5 previews:
Vacancy (too scary!)
28 Weeks Later (sequel to 28 Days Later)
1408 (looks interesting, based on Stephen King something....)
In the Land of Women (Meg Ryan playing 'the Mom'? Now that is a first....)
Lucky You (preview appeared to show the whole film)

3 comments:

andydreamseeker said...

Hi Shannon,
I find The Reaping interesting too.
Here's my review:
http://andydreamseeker.blogspot.com/2007/04/movie-review-reaping.html

Suzie Ridler said...

I wondered if it would be too religious for me? It's not one I was planning on seeing so I happily surprised by your good review, now I will reconsider it.

Shannon said...

Thanks for the link andydreamseeker, intersting review! I didn't realize the date of release was signifigant!

Suzie, I don't think the religious angle would be bothersome at all really for ya, it's worth seeing for a fun thriller.