Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Host / Gwoemul

Dir: Joon-ho Bong (Memories of Murder / Salinui chueok)
Cast: Kang-ho Song, Hie-bong Byeon, Hai-il Park, Du-na Bae, Ah-sung Ko
South Korea, 2007

Seen: April 5, 2007 at Paramount

Reason to see: South Korean Monster film that smashed domestic box office records, very cool preview as well as working towards #7 on my 101 list: See 1 film a week in the theatre for a year. This is week 15/52.

This is going to be a tough review to write, as I really don't want to tell you the story. Maybe I'll start with what did I get from it? I was thoroughly entertained. I laughed, I gasped, my heart panged and my eyes widened. It made me think and feel, which was delightfully more than I was expected. A wonderful cast of characters and a good story that really goes further than just a monster movie but touches on many more things including the strength of the human spirit.

Shannon's Overall View:
I loved it
I'll buy it
I highly recommend it, and recommend to see it in the theatre if you can for the sound and the experience as a whole

More Film Reviews here

Return to Film Fan Fridays

10 minutes of preshow with 3 commercials and 3 previews: Hostel II (too scary!), Grindhouse and Hot Fuzz (can't wait for it!)

1 comment:

Suzie Ridler said...

This looked like a whole bunch of fun, like an 70s-style monster movies so I really want to see it. I had no idea it also had depth!

So glad you liked it Shannon. I'm definitely going to rent this one when it comes out.