Saturday, April 07, 2007

CaC - Getting to Know You - Let's go to the movies!

Thank you Tammy for this weeks Getting to Know you - Let's go to the Movies at Create a Connection. Due to the film nature of this post I decided to post it here on my film blog, however most of you know me from my ah.. 'regular' (?) blog over at Planet Shannon.

Name your all-time favorite movie! (Or if you're like me, narrow it down to your top five!)

Wow,... I've not done fave's yet I don't think! I've got a list of my The most influential films to me, Scariest Movies of all Time and Movies to Cry By, but just cut-to-the chase fave's? It'll be hard to pare it down but here goes:

Star Wars
The Professional
Gidget
Harry Potter
Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion
Aliens
Pitch Black
Serenity
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings

What genre of movie do you like best?

Sci-Fi Fantasy

What movie made you cry the most?

Hard call, I'd have to say it's between Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Pratical Magic and Whale Rider.

Have you ever applauded during a movie in the theatre? Which one? If not, what would make you do that?

Yes, several. Star Wars: Episode One The Phantom Menace and Dreamgirls for sure. Often people applaud when you see a film at a festival so I know I've done that numerous times as well. I also know I've cheered in movies, like in X-Men when a family friend who played an extra we could see him I know I yelled 'WOOHOO!!'

Do you own any soundtracks from movies? Which is your favorite and why did the music inspire you?

Empire Records
Tank Girl
The Crow
Dance with Me
All the Real Girls (on of my favourite albums of all time)
Pulp Fiction
Laurel Canyon
The Replacement Killers (the score).

I'm not sure I would say the music inspired me. I know two of them I got for free at screenings, the rest it was mostly because they were popular music at the time and I liked the songs but didn't know any of the artists and/or it was a genre I was just coming to know. I find the score to The Replacement Killers very soothing, even though I'm not a fan of instrumental music in general.

Is there a particular actor or actress who inspires you? Why do you like him or her?

Again, I'm not sure I would say inspire but I do tend to like:

Cate Blanchett, Maggie Smith, Meg Ryan, Parker Posey, Sandra Bullock, Jean Reno, Russell Crowe, Antonio Banderas, Vin Diesel, Clive Owen

I take that back, I do find Roy Dupuis inspiring (from The Rocket / Maurice Richard)

On the whole, I'm more likely to go to a film based on a director than actor. Luc Besson, Ridley Scott and Michael Mann are all high on that list.

Is there a particular actor or actress who you just dislike and will not see their movies? Why?

I will shy away from this question, I prefer not to flame. I also don't really 'get' why people dislike people they don't even know so strongly, especially when it's usually due to media coverage of their lives and not the work they do as actors.

On a weird side note I have an uncanny inability to recognized Gary Oldman.

Have you ever dreamed of being an actor? Which role would be your dream role?

I actually did try out for an acting program when I was about 16 and took drama in high school. It's not really for me, if I was to perform it would be to dance not to act, I'm not overly verbally articulate :)

If there was ever a movie made of your life, who should star as you?

The only person people ever say I look like is Christina Ricci, so I would go with her.

1 comment:

Suzie Ridler said...

You do look like Christina Ricci!

This was fascinating to read, oh, so many movies, so many memories.

I can't believe I don't own Practical Magic, every time it's on I watch it.

Great answers Shannon, they reveal so much. I love how varied your favourite movies are.