Friday, March 23, 2007

Film Fan Fridays for Friday March 23, 2007!!!!

Hello Film Fans and Fanatics!!!

I am happy to share that BLUE, a short dance film by Elif Isikozlu will be showing this Sunday, March 25th, 3:30pm at the Carlton Cinemas a part of The Canadian Filmmakers Festival. BLUE was directed, choreographed and performed BLUE by Elif who is an abundantly talented woman who and I am thrilled to see the continued success of her film. Congratulations Elif!

I'm very excited with this weeks release of the Canadian film Sharkwater which is a documentary and a plea to save the shark. I know I'm going to see that one, even though I find sharks scary I find it an intriguing topic. If documentaries are your thing but perhaps sharks are not, we have a second documentary this week with the release of Air Guitar Nation. The is something odd about the idea of watching a film about people pretending to do something, but who knows - could be a cult classic in the making!

With the release of TMNT this week my curiosity got the best of me and I had to check when the first live action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, and alarmingly it was 17 years ago. Seventeen! I'm feeling old. I'm sure the green guys are still kicking butt and eating pizza, dude.

Festival Watch

The Canadian Filmmakers Festival
March 22 - 25, 2007
www.canfilmfest.ca

Cinéfranco
10th Annual Celebration of International Francophone Cinema
March 23 - April 1, 2007 at The Royal, Toronto
http://www.cinefranco.com/

Have a great weekend!!!

Shannon

Friday March 23, 2007 Releases

Air Guitar Nation
Dir: Alexandra Lipsitz - directorial debut
Documentary on air guitar
USA
Limited Release

Amazing Grace
Dir: Michael Apted (Enough, The World is Not Enough, Thunderheart)
Cast: Ioan Gruffudd, Albert Finney, Rufus Sewell, Romola Garai
UK / USA

The Hills Have Eyes 2
Dir: Martin Weisz (Rohtenburg/Grimm Love)
Cast: Michael McMillian, Jessica Stroup, Daniella Alonso, Jacob Vargas
USA

The Last Mimzy
Dir: Bob Shaye (Book of Love)
Cast: Timothy Hutton, Joely Richardson, Rhiannon Leigh Wryn, Chris O'Neil
USA

Pride
Dir: Sunu Gonera - directorial debut
Cast: Terrence Howard, Bernie Mac, Kimberly Elise, Tom Arnold
USA

Reign Over Me
Writer/Dir: Mike Binder (Man About Town, The Upside of Anger, Indian Summer)
Cast: Don Cheadle, Adam Sandler, Jada Pinkett Smith, Liv Tyler, Saffron Burrows, Donald Sutherland
USA

Sharkwater
Writer/Dir: Rob Stewart - directorial debut
Documentary on shark conservation
Canada

Shooter
Dir: Antoine Faqua (King Arthur, Training Day, Tears of the Sun)
Cast: Mark Wahlberg, Danny Glover, Kate Mara, Michael Peña, Elias Koteas
USA

TMNT
Writer/Dir: Kevin Munroe - directorial debut
Voices: Patrick Steward, Sarah Michelle Geller, Mitchell Whitfield, James Arnold Taylor, Mikey Kelley, Nolan North, Laurence Fishburne, Ziyi Zhang, Kevin Smith, Mako, Chris Evans
Hong Kong / USA

**please note this list of releases reflects first run film released in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on March 23, 2007**

3 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

I hadn't heard about Sharkwater, that sounds like something I would want to see too despite being so freakin' scared of sharks. I hate that they're being hunted to extinction and I think shark fin soup should be banned! OK, that was my little rant.

Seventeen years?! Oi vey.

Did you hear Premonition got a big thumbs down? Man, I thought that was going to be good. Still thinking about seeing 300 now that R is home, yay! Supposed to be super gory though.

Shannon said...

I think you might like Sharkwater Suzie... even though it is, well... sharks! I'll let you know what I think when I see it.

I haven't heard that much abotu Premonition, remember reviews aren't everything - if you think you'll like it, it still might be worth checking out!!

I'll be writing about 300 soon :)

Suzie Ridler said...

You know my love-hate relationship with sharks, I can't help but be fascinated by them. I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

It's true, reviews aren't everything, maybe I'll like Premonition, just not sure I'm willing to risk it in the theatre since we're going so rarely.

Love the review of 300! Very helpful, thank you Shannon.