Monday, March 26, 2007

300

Dir: Zack Snyder (Dawn of the Dead)
Cast: Gerard Butler, Lena Headey, Dominic West, David Wenham, Vincent Regan
USA, 2007

Seen: March 16, 2007 at Paramount with Jamie

Reason to see: Epic Film, Gerard Butler as well as being on my third attempt of #7 on my 101 list: See 1 film a week in the theatre for a year. This is the second film of week 12/52.

I was thrilled that I enjoyed this film. Initially when the previews came out I thought it looked like a good epic film. My only hesitation was hearing about some of the violence as well as slight worry about gender issues* but it was fine (mostly due to the connection with folks who also worked on Sin City). The violence is very comic book like, and the gender stuff is fine - in fact, better than most and sometimes even impressive.

All in all it was a fun, epic action/adventure film with interesting characters and interesting choices. Fun. Lots of fighting, adept physicality and charm. It's like watching people who are good at what they do, it's impressive to see that kind of skill and confidence. Very enjoyable indeed.

*FYI - Shannon definition of 'gender issues' is 'sexist crap' see this review for more on that. Again, I re-iterate that I found 300 fine in this respect.

Shannon's Overall View:
I really enjoyed it
I'll watch it again, tempted to see it in the theatre again
I'd recommend it

More Film Reviews here

Return to Film Fan Fridays

12 minutes of preshow: 4 commercials and 4 previews (Pathfinder, The invisible, Next, Oceans 13)

2 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

Woohoo! I am SO VERY HAPPY to read this review. I was worried about the same sort of stuff and am glad that it probably won't be an issue. Man, I hope we finally get to see it. Life's just been nuts lately. I'm so glad you saw it and liked it Shannon!

Jamie said...

As you know, I was worried about the same stuff, especially because of the Sin City connection (which I also found dreadfully boring). But I really enjoyed this movie and have even seen it twice. I thought it was epic, fun and sometimes even silly. I thought Gerard Butler made an awesome, believable king.