Thursday, February 22, 2007

Notes on a Scandal

Dir: Richard Eyre (Iris, Stage Beauty)
Cast: Dame Judi Dench, Cate Blanchett, Andrew Simpson, Bill Nighy,
UK, 2006

Seen: Jan 26, 2007 at the Varsity with Jamie

Reason to see: 4 Oscar nominations, as well as I am on my third attempt of #7 on my 101 list: See 1 film a week in the theatre for a year. This was my third film from week 5/52.

Deliciously scandalous. Best drama I've seen in quite a while. It plays out like a freaking Shakespearean tragedy. It's a great story and with such excellent actors like Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett it is no surprize that they pull you right in. It also touches on some topics that seem to really crop up in the current pulse out there such as the driving need for attention and loneliness.

As it's a highly plot based film I'm going to resist saying too much other than: see it!

Shannon's Overall View:
I loved it
I'd buy it
I highly and widely recommend it

10 min of preshow including 2 commercials and 3 previews (The Kingdom, Reign Over Me and The Namesake)

More Film Reviews here

Return to Film Fan Fridays

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I thought this movie was spectacular. Just seeing the clip on the Academy awards I was reminded of how top-notch the acting truly was.