Thursday, February 22, 2007

Factory Girl

Dir: George Hickenlooper (Mayor of the Sunset Strip, Dogtown)
Cast: Sienna Miller, Guy Pearce, Hayden Christensen, Illeana Douglas
USA, 2007

Seen: Feb 16, 2007 at the Varsity with Jamie

Reason to see: 60's, Art + Film? I'm there! Also, I am on my third attempt of #7 on my 101 list: See 1 film a week in the theatre for a year. This is week 8/52.

Sienna Miller does an amazing job playing Edie Sedgwick in this bio pic. Not only is her look perfect but there is such an open, fun, playful attitude as well. Definitely she has the 'it' factor for The Factory. Her character is very charismatic, and yet you also get the feeling that in some ways she's fun and free and never really grows up or did she just grow up too fast?

I thought one of the film's strong points was showing how some circles can appear very open and inviting but fall prey to the rules of a clique. What or who, is hot and new can change.... quickly. Being nice, doesn't necessarily get ya far. People will take as much as they can. Also, that people can be very different one-to-one than in a group. I think that really is something that resonates in this film. Speaking of other people in the film, both Guy Pearce and Hayden Christensen had very strong performances.

There were some rough moments in the film in terms of pace and style, but all in all it's well worth seeing. I love how they played with it texturally and gave it a 60's feel, not just with sets and costumes but with film techniques as well

Great quote: "I wonder if Picasso knows who I am yet"- Guy Pearce as Andy Warhol

Shannon's Overall View:
I enjoyed it
I'd watch it again
I'd recommend it

9 minutes preshow included 2 commercials and 2 previews (Days of Glory / Indigènes, Sunshine)

More Film Reviews here

Return to Film Fan Fridays

1 comment:

Suzie Ridler said...

This is one I am definitely interested in seeing. We saw the lead woman (Sienna?) interviewed on The Daily show and she was absolutely wonderful, Kiera Knightley could learn a thing of two from her. I adored her and now want to see this movie. Guy Pierce seems perfectly cast too!

I wish I knew the other two movies but I seem to be leaving in a cave lately, either that or I am absolutely and totally hopeless when it comes to movie titles.