Sunday, January 21, 2007

Snow Cake

Dir: Marc Evans (My Little Eye, Resurrection Man)
Cast: Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Carrie-Ann Moss, Emily Hampshire, David Fox, James Allodi, Jayne Eastwood, Callum Keith Rennie
UK/Canada, 2006

Seen: Jan 17, 2007 at the Carlton

Reason to see: It's Canadian! It's nominated for 4 Genies (Cinematography, Actress in a Leading Role: Sigourney Weaver, Actress in a Supporting Role: Carrie-Ann Moss, Emily Hampshire)
This is week 4/52 of my third attempt for#7 on my 101 list: See 1 film a week in the theatre for a year.

This film has one of my favourite themes: Unconventional relationships. People who are different, by choice or by chance and how they function (or don't). It dances around fascinating topics such as setting boundaries, letting people in, people with different needs, the same event being experienced in different ways. This lends itself to show a wide range of moments from wondrous to awkward, touching to abrupt, confusion to clarity. Great acting, great characters and great location: Wawa, Ontario. Gotta love it.

The only thing I found a little weird is that it's a Canadian (co-pro) and neither of the principle actors are Canadian. But, on the whole I'm not going to let that get to me as all of the performances are wonderful. It's also great to see such familiar faces in different roles.

Favourite quote" "I don't like normal people, I like useful people."

Shannon's Overall View:
I enjoyed it
I'll watch it again
I'd recommend it

2 previews/6 min: Venus, Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus

More Film Reviews here

Return to Planet Shannon’s Film Fan Fridays

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll keep my eye out for this one. It sounds really good and totally up my alley, thanks Shannon!

I have never heard of it and also find it very odd that it's supposed to be Canadian yet there seem to be no Canadian actors!

Shannon said...

That is so odd, I could have sworn you said you were looking forward to it!

Jamie said...

Oh, what an interesting theme of interest you've identified: "People who are different, by choice or by chance..." I love that.

I love the way you structure your reviews, Shannon. They're always an interesting read!