Sunday, January 21, 2007

Monkey Warfare

Writer/Dir: Reginald Harkema (A Girl is a Girl)
Cast: Don McKellar, Tracy Wright, Nadia Litz
Canada, 2006

Seen: Jan 4, 2007 at the Royal

Reason to see: It's Canadian! It is part of Canada's Top Ten 2006.
This is week 2/52 of my third attempt for#7 on my 101 list: See 1 film a week in the theatre for a year.

What do you value? What is valuable? What are your values? How far are you willing to go? Will you cross the line... if is there a line? Will you stomp all over it, hide behind it, push someone over it? If crossed, can you ever turn back?

Monkey Warfare is a great Canadian film set in Toronto's Parkdale neighbourhood. I have to admit, I love the Canadian-ness of this film. Seeing people ride crappy looking bikes while smoking and wearing worn jeans, just feels so Toronto. The characters feel real and all three actors did such an excellent job portraying them. Personally, I was particularly fond of Tracy Wright's performance as Linda. I'm not going to reveal the plot, it is worth seeing it unfold for yourself. Enjoy.

Favourite quote: "Geez, I thought all girls liked Leonard Cohen"

Shannon's Overall View:
I enjoyed it
I'll watch it again
I recommend it

Bonus short film shown:

Phone Call from Imaginary Girlfriends: Ankara
by Don McKellar (Childstar, Last Night)

What a wonderful short film! Very textural and expressed a huge range of emotions succinctly in such a short time. A delightful treat.

More Film Reviews here

Return to Planet Shannon’s Film Fan Fridays

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it might make me homesick but in a good way. Doubt if it'll show here but I'm glad I know about it.